Dear 2016 parents,
It was great to see so many of you at the Prayer Breakfast earlier this month. It is a blessing to pray with you for your teens and families.
Here is a quick summary of the meeting for those that missed it or are no longer able to find the handouts from the morning. 😉
The Mass Request link has been sent if you are complete with the parish preparation (paperwork and formation), and your Mass will be verified today, Friday, September 23rd.
Rehearsals are Sunday, October 23rd from 2:00-3:30 p.m. OR Friday, October 28th from 7:00-8:30 p.m. Attend the rehearsal time that best suits your schedule. Participation in one rehearsal is required so that Candidate and sponsor know what to expect in the Confirmation Liturgy. If the sponsor is not able to attend, a parent should attend in their place and fill in the Sponsor with the details. The Confirmation gowns will be distributed at the close of the rehearsal.
At the conclusion of the rehearsal, the Candidates will receive the white gowns they are to wear for Confirmation. These white gowns remind us all of the close connection of the Sacrament of Confirmation to the Sacrament of Baptism.
The Celebration of the Sacrament of Confirmation Masses, are on Saturday, October 29th at 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Candidates and Sponsors are to arrive one hour prior to the start of Mass time, and each Mass will be approximately 2 hours in length.
- In addition to the Confirmation Gown the candidates should wear…
- Ladies: Sunday best, light colors look best under the white Confirmation Gown. No strapless or spaghetti straps without a shrug/jacket/sweater.
- Gentlemen: Dress pants, shirt with a collar, a tie looks very nice with the White Confirmation Gown. No jackets under the gown.
- No tennis shoes or flip-flops.
- The Candidates and sponsors should be prepared for the questions of the Bishop. Check out this Material Review Sheet to prepare/review.
- Also check out the Renewal of Baptismal Promises the candidates will answer.
- If you have a family member that needs the handicap seating, please let me know and we will be sure to reserve a seat for you.
- Photos of the Candidates will be taken during the Confirmation Rite. You will be able to purchase these pictures via a photo envelope that will be available at the rehearsal and on the Confirmation day. No other photographic equipment will be allowed during the Confirmation Liturgy per the Bishop’s request.
- Following the Mass, there will be a cake and cookie reception in McNamee Hall for the Confirmandi and families. Confirmandi are to return their Confirmation gowns to the indicated tables in the reception hall, and they will receive their Confirmation certificate.
- Here is a Frequently Asked Questions handout for some of the common questions.
Candidate Final Preparations
We enter the final preparations there are several ways the candidates and families can continue to form an enriched heart.
- Sacrament of Reconciliation: It is important that we all enter into new sacraments in a state of grace. The Candidate is encouraged to celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation any time between now and October 29th. Reconciliation is typically offered at St. Peter Chanel
- Wednesday: 7:15-8 a.m.
- Saturday: 9-10 a.m. and 2:30-3:30 p.m.
- Sponsor Relationship: Living near or far, it is important to nurture this very special relationship. The Candidate/Sponsor might attend Mass together or celebrate Reconciliation together, attend Adoration, enjoy an activity, go to lunch, etc. What is important is that time is provided to strengthen this relationship. If the Sponsor lives out of town, phone calls, online communication or text messages will help them become closer and make the celebration of the sacrament even more meaningful.
- An Enriched Heart: This is a very important, yet busy time in a young person’s life. Occasional quiet time to reflect through readings, music, adoration and prayer will enrich their faith and heart for this next step in their faith journey.
- Review, Review, Review! Know this information from the Material Review Sheet.
- Confirmation Blog. I will post weekly information or video to help the Candidates, sponsors and parents prepare for the celebration of the Sacrament.
Please know that the Confirmation team and I are praying for all of our candidates and their families.
Follow the blog, by entering your email in the space to the right and click follow, to receive all of the Confirmation blog posts in the next month straight into your inbox.
Have a Spirit-filled week!